He’s become the growing force in hip-hop since gaining attention from Gucci Mane, and is now instantly recognisable. Young Thug has transformed into one of the most influential rappers of all time after crawling his way up the charts for the last decade.
Young Thug was born Jeffery Lamar Williams in Atlanta, 1991. The rapper, singer and songwriter is known for his eccentric vocal style and fashion. He started his music career in 2010 when he appeared on rapper TruRoyal’s song She Can Go. What followed was a series of independent mixtapes beginning in 2011 with Came From Nothing. In 2013, he signed with Gucci Mane’s 1017 Records and released his label debut mixtape 1017 Thug that same year.
In 2014, his success grew with singles Stoner and Dany Glover. He appeared on several singles including T.I.’s About the Money, Tyga’s Hookah and Rich Gang’s Lifestyle. Thug also signed to Lyor Cohen’s 300 Entertainment and collaborated on the mixtape Rich Gang: Tha Tour Pt.1. In 2015, he released a series of mixtapes including Barter 6 and two instalments of his Slime Season series. In 2016, his mixtape run continued with I’m Up, Slime Season 3 and Jeffery.
In 2017, Thug obtained his first number one single on the Billboard Hot 100, when he featured on the hit song Havana with Camila Cabello. In 2018 his compilation album Slime Language was released with his own label, YSL Records. He won a Grammy Award the following year for Song of the Year with his songwriting on This Is America.
Young Thug released the debut studio album So Much Fun in 2019. It debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200 and included the Billboard hot 100 top-twenty singles The London and Hot. In 2020 his single Go Grazy with Chris Brown from the collaborative mixtape Slime & B peaked at number three on the Hot 100. It became his first top-ten single as a lead artist. Thug also reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100 for the second time in his career with his feature on Travis Scott’s single Franchise.
An influential figure of his generation, Young Thug’s music continues to impact the modern sound of hip hop and trap music. These early stages of his career mark the artists progressive future in which his words outlay his ambition for other aspiring musicians to absorb.
1. I just put anything on my back. I take what I have on hand.Young Thug
2. I don’t want to rap forever. But I want to be rich forever.Young Thug
3. I never write. Never! I do not even remember if I can write.Young Thug
4. In my world, of course, it doesn’t matter. You could be a gangster with a dress, you could be a gangster with baggy pants.Young Thug
5. I know that everybody listens to me, but only my true fans will go and buy my album.Young Thug
6. I’m always in range of a microphone. I even have a studio at home.Young Thug
7. We need money. We need hits. Hits bring money, money bring power, power bring fame, fame change the gameYoung Thug
8. Mixtapes, it’s for everyone and you throw them in the trash quickly. While an album is an object that only your real fans take the trouble to buy and know you have prepared something special.Young Thug
9. I repeat it until it works. It is important to record, otherwise you lose ideas. That’s why I never stay away from the studio, I always have something to ask.Young Thug
10. For a long time, I heard rap without paying attention, but it is still a way of life, even when you’re a kid.Young Thug
11. When it comes to swag, there’s no gender involved.Young Thug
12. I do not always listen again but if something strikes me, I exploit it.Young Thug
13. This is where the guys who copy me are planted: I do not use auto-tune, I sing. That’s my advice!Young Thug
14. You must not you worry about leaks or pieces stolen on your computer. You just make songs, you gotta make music, keep stuff out. You may not know rap, but that’s how it works.Young Thug
15. I always paid attention to Lil Wayne. Close attention. He’s my idol. He’s still my idol.Young Thug
16. When you see them be successful, however small, you say to yourself, wow. And everything becomes possible. Never denigrate, to say we will not succeed.Young Thug
17. All those who came out of my neighborhood before me. Beyond those you see on TV, the most important people are those who are close to you because they share the same reality.Young Thug
18. It was Kanye West who spoke, and then we met and recorded some songs. After, you know what it is: we all bump like crazy.Young Thug
19. I ain’t want my kids to grow up and call me Thug. I don’t want anybody to kind of look at me like that.Young Thug
20. I don’t want my kids saying, ‘My dad was a gangster, so I need to be a gangster. I would rather mine say, ‘My dad was a stunna, so I need to be a stunna.’Young Thug
21. This is the industry that wants music, the rap industry. You have to be on deck all the time, but you do not have the time to do the album. It is an energy; it must be present in everyday life.Young Thug
22. The same image that I have of all the countries where I am supposed to go: it’s far, it’s different, it will be necessarily complicated … It’s another part of the world for me coming from the United States.Young Thug
23. I like in Kanye West confidence in him, but also his aggressiveness, ambition and charisma.Young Thug
24. I always knew I could rap, and in a sense I always rapped. And I’ve always behaved like a rapper. But I started to take it seriously when I recorded with the people of Brick when I started to receive some money.Young Thug
25. I’m the type of person to put myself in everybody else’s shoes.Young Thug
26. ’m signed to Atlantic through 300 Entertainment Lyor Cohen’s label. That is my only contractual relationship.Young Thug
27. I spend more time with Gucci Mane or Birdman than 300, but all this is just family. Who cares about contracts?Young Thug
28. I know I have this image but in reality, if you take all my records, I had to use five or six tracks.Young Thug
29. If you’re 30, 40 years old, you’re not getting listened to by minors.Young Thug
30. It was stressful to live as a child in a Sylvian Hills. It’s always been complicated, honestly… I do not really want to tell you, actually. It bothers me that you want me to tell this.Young Thug
31. I know, every time I get somewhere, it’ll be strange. But if I understand correctly, I also have fans here and it reassures me.Young Thug
32. I feel close to Kanye West. We’re friends, this is not just a working relationship.Young Thug
33. An album is a project with which you have to hit hard.Young Thug
34. A mixtape is for the street, it’s something you without necessarily thinking about it, because you have to stay in the game. It’s like writing an e-mail saying hello to your friends.Young Thug
35. I’ve always been a sharing person.Young Thug
36. I am not versed in production software. I have basic knowledge, but it ends there.Young Thug
37. I use to get fly, but now I get pelican.Young Thug
38. It’s a pretty crazy thing in which I tried to make songs, real songs, not the quick stuff like on a tape. A dose of Kendrick Lamar, a dose of J. Cole… because it’s got to be an album that goes in the club.Young Thug
39. The best way to use the auto-tune is not to! And that’s what I do: I do not use auto-tune!Young Thug
40. Today I live in the suburbs, in a neighborhood that’s not too bad.Young Thug
41. Anyone can rap if you’ve got brains, so I just went with it.Young Thug